Monday, October 14, 2013

Gu Family Book


I've just recently finished watching this drama after what felt like a long hiatus from when I first started watching it. This drama was a mixed-bag of good and bad. The story for the most part is interesting and to a degree endearing.Which tells the tale of a half-human and half gumiho (fox demon). Personally, I think the drama overstayed its welcome. I think it didn't need 24 episodes and could have easily wrapped up everything with either 20 or 21 episodes. At a certain point, I found myself caring more for Kang Chi's parents and their tragic love story over his own story. In fact, I'd much rather have had the drama focusing on the parents and not even bring the son into the equation. I love Lee Seung Gi as an actor and he did the best that he could with the character that he had to portray, but something about Kang Chi as a character just kinda rubbed me the wrong way.

I wished that there were more action scenes or something to spice things up a bit. I was really looking forward to Suzy's character Yeo Wool to be a bad-ass female warrior, and at times she did hold her own, but in the end she was reduced to somewhat of a damsel in distress. One major factor working in the favor of this k-drama was the ost which by the way was superb.


Verdict
This drama was kind of a hit or miss for me. I mean, it's watchable and I was able to successfully make it through all 24 episodes in one piece, but at times this drama made me so frustrated with some of the characters' actions. I'd much rather the story have been about Wol-Ryung and Seo hwa instead of focusing on their son Kang Chi.

Score: 7.5


No comments:

Post a Comment